Skip to main content

Glentoran Connection (Part 1)

Glentoran 1983
Barney Bowers, Gerry Mullan, Gary Blackledge
Tommy Connell, Jim Cleary
Reproduced by kind permission of ForzaGlens.

Part 2
Andy Smith – 11 caps
Andy began his football career with hometown club, Lisburn Youth. Spells with Shankill Boys and Glenavon Reserves followed before his move to Sheffield United. Three years in Sheffield saw Andy collect two broken ankles and a dislocated shoulder before he returned home and rejoined Glenavon on loan. Glentoran manager, Roy Coyle signed Smith in February 2002. His Glentoran debut came on 23rd of that month when Andy came off the bench at Seaview in a League game and scored the only goal of the game. 2002-03 was a fantastic season for both Smith and Glentoran. He scored 35 goals in 47 appearances, winning CIS Cup, Co Antrim Shield and League Championship medals. At the end of that campaign Andy won his first full international cap, against Italy in Campobasso. Just 8 days later he received another, versus Spain at Windsor Park. 2003-04 didn’t quite live up to the previous season as far as Smith was concerned but he still ended the season with an Irish Cup winners medal and a further 6 caps. Altogether Andy Smith made 97 appearances for Glentoran and scored 57 goals. He was transferred to Preston North End in July 2004.

William Emerson – 6 caps (11 in total)
Born on 16th Dec. 1891 in Enniskillen, William Emerson’s football career kicked off with Owen O’Cork (Beersbridge Road) before he joined Glentoran in 1912. He made five appearances that first season (1912-13), scoring three goals in November wins over Derry City and Shelbourne. Glentoran finished as champions that season and the following year Emerson was part of the successful team that lifted both the Irish Cup and City Cup. He was also part of the squad that traveled to the continent and brought back the Vienna Cup. William Emerson made almost 300 appearances for Glentoran before joining Burnley during the 1921-22 season. He returned to the Glens for two further years (24-25/25-26) before finishing his career with Linfield. In total, William Emerson made 308 appearances for Glentoran, scoring 12 goals. He died in Belfast in January 1961.
Emerson won a total of 11 international caps, 6 with Glentoran and 5 with Burnley. He scored once for Ireland, against Scotland, in his second game, a 2-2 draw with Wales in Belfast.

Jim Cleary – 5 caps
Undoubtedly one of the finest players ever to don the Glentoran shirt, Jim Cleary played 413 games for Glentoran between 1980-81 and 1988-89. He scored 144 goals, including 25 in one season, which was a remarkable record for a midfielder. Cleary won at least one trophy in every one of his nine seasons at the Oval; with 2 League Championships and 5 Irish Cups being his main achievements. He also picked up various individual awards including the ‘Ulster Footballer of the Year’ accolade in 1983.

Jim Cleary won the first of his five Northern Ireland caps against Scotland in April 1982. The game, played at Windsor Park in front of a crowd of 15,000, ended 1-1 with John Wark opening the scoring for the Scots in the 32nd minute and Sammy McIlroy equalising in the 52nd. It was the last home game for the team prior to the 1982 World Cup finals in Spain. Both Cleary and the Irish League’s other representative in the game, Coleraine’s Felix Healy, did enough to earn their places in the final squad of 22. Jim Cleary won two further caps against Wales (82 and 83 (sub)) in the British Championship. He was capped against Turkey (sub appearance) in October ‘83 in a European Championship qualifier and his final cap came against Israel in a friendly in October ‘84.

Gerry Mullan – 4 caps
In November 1981 Glentoran manager Ronnie McFall paid Everton £30,000 for former Ballymena United striker Gerry Mullan. That fee made Mullan the most expensive player in the Irish League. Gerry’s Glentoran debut came on 14th November 1981, a 2-1 home defeat against Cliftonville in the Gold Cup. Two weeks later Mullan scored the first of his 109 goals for the club in an emphatic 6-1 Irish League win over Glenavon at the Oval. The 1982-83 season saw Gerry play 41 games for the Glens and begin a remarkable record of goal scoring in Irish Cup finals. Mullan netted in the 1-1 draw against Linfield at Windsor Park; it was Johnny Jameson though who grabbed the headlines, scoring both our goals in the 2-1 replay win at the Oval. That season also saw Gerry Mullan score his first hattrick for the Glens, the goals coming in a 5-0 league win over Larne. 82-83 saw Gerry score his first European goal in the 2-1 defeat in the Parc des Princes against PSG. The following year he scored against the Blues again in the Irish Cup final. Again the game finished in a 1-1 draw but again the Glens triumphed in the replay thanks to that infamous Paul Mooney own goal. The cup was back at the Oval again in 85-86 with Gerry Mullan scoring the first of our two goals in the final against Coleraine. He did it again a year later. On this occasion it was the only goal in the game against Larne. 1987-88 turned out to be Mullan’s best season for Glentoran. It was also to be his last. He scored 27 goals in 50 games that year including four hattricks. In his seventh year at the Oval Gerry finally got his hands on a League Championship medal, the title being clinched at Coleraine on the final day of the season. He also picked up a fifth Irish Cup winners medal as the Belfast Glens saw off the Lurgan Glens in the final but there was to be no goal this time. Gerry Mullan’s final game for Glentoran was in the final of the Co Antrim Chalice. He scored a hattrick as the Glens defeated Ballymena United 4-2 in the Windsor Park final. On 18th November 1981 Gerry Mullan was an unused substitute as Northern Ireland clinched their place at Espana82 thanks to a 1-0 (G. Armstrong) home win over Israel. Unfortunately for Mullan it was Jim Cleary and Johnny Jameson who were Glentoran’s representatives in the World Cup finals squad. Mullan did however go on to win four Northern Ireland caps. His first came as a substitute, when he replaced the late Noel Brotherston against Albania in April 1983. He also featured in the Home-International series that year.

David Lyner – 4 caps (6 in total)
Another player to make over 300 appearances for Glentoran, Davy Lyner (born 9-1-1893) joined his brother at Glentoran and won an Irish League winners medal in his first season (1912-13). The following season saw the Glens lift the Irish Cup for the first time, defeating Linfield 3-1 in the final at Grosvenor Park. Lyner netted 11 times that year and also picked up the City Cup and Vienna Cup. By the time he left for Manchester Utd in 1922 Davy Lyner had picked up another Irish League and Irish Cup medal, not to mention various other cups and shields. He didn’t stay long in Manchester, moving north to join Kilmarnock. That made it three teams in one season but the following season (24-25) was even more eventful. Lyner left Kilmarnock for Queen’s Island; he moved to Dundela before returning to Scotland with Clydebank. Four teams in one season! Mid-Rhonda in Wales were his next club followed by New Brighton before Lyner returned to the Oval for the 1927-28 campaign. His career ended with Queen’s Island in 28-29. Davy Lyner won six caps in total, four with Glentoran and one with both Manchester Utd and Kilmarnock.

Jim Lewis – 3 caps (4 in total)
James Lewis was born in 1874 and made his debut in Glentoran’s goal in the 1895-96 season. The following year saw Lewis firmly established as Glentoran’s ‘keeper and he won both Irish League and City Cup medals that season. He won the City Cup again in 1898-99, along with the first 3 of his 4 Ireland caps. He kept goal first against England on 18th February 1899 in Sunderland. Following a 13-2 defeat it is amazing he was ever selected again! But selected he was and played in two further defeats the following month. Lewis moved to Distillery where he played just one season (1899-1900) and won his final cap (v Scotland) in March that year. James moved back to the Glens where he played for a further 5 campaigns, winning another Irish League Championship, 2 Co Antrim Shield medals and 1 Charity Cup medal. In total, Lewis made 199 appearances for Glentoran. He died in Belfast in April 1957.
Paddy McCann – 3 caps (7 in total)
Born in 1881, full-back Paddy McCann’s football career was spent between two clubs, Belfast Celtic (1906-07 to 1910-11) and Glentoran (1910-11 to 1916-17). He won Inter-League honours and Amateur International caps along with his 7 full caps. McCann won at least one trophy in each of the first five seasons he was with the Glens. The City Cup, Charity Cup and Co Antrim Shield were won in 1910-11 and the Irish League and City Cup were lifted the next season. Another League title was followed by the first Irish Cup (alongside Scraggs) another City Cup and the Vienna Cup. Paddy McCann made a total of 151 appearances for the Glens but scored just once (during the 14-15 season). The goal, a penalty, came against Bohemians in a 4-1 City Cup win at the Oval as Glentoran retained the trophy. It was Paddy’s last season as a first team regular with the club. He played just 9 times during the next two campaigns. McCann won 4 caps whilst with Belfast Celtic and 3 with Glentoran. He died in Bangor on 22nd June 1935.

George McMaster – 3 caps
Born in 1878, George McMaster, a left-back or left-half, was with Glentoran for 13 seasons and made 174 appearances, scoring 3 goals. He made his debut in 1895-96 and was in the Charity Cup side which defeated Cliftonville 1-0 in the May final. The following season McMaster won both the Irish League and City Cup plus three international caps. Another Charity Cup, City Cup and two Co Antrim Shield medals were picked up over the next five seasons, with George McMaster a regular in the side. 1902-03, McMaster’s eighth season, saw him score his first goal. It came in an Irish League defeat (4-1) away to Derry Celtic. He scored twice more for Glentoran; against the King’s Own Scottish Borderers in the City Cup (03-04) and Shelbourne in the Irish League (04-05) when the club regained the League title. George McMaster finished his career with Glentoran in 1907-08. He died in Belfast on 23rd March 1931 aged 53.

Alec McCartney – 3 caps (15 in total)
Born in Ballynafeigh on 14th November 1879, full-back McCartney began his football career with Distillery in 1900-01. He played two seasons with the Whites before moving to Ulster and then Linfield the following year (02-03). He won the first two of his fifteen caps whilst playing for Ulster and two more followed with Linfield before Alec McCartney moved to Everton in 1904-05. He spent a couple of seasons with the Merseyside club (winning two more caps) but didn’t feature in the first team. Belfast Celtic were the next stop and by now Alec was an international regular, adding a further six caps to his collection. He came to the Oval for the 1908-09 season and made 23 appearances for the Glens, winning another three caps along the way. He returned to Linfield the following season, his last in senior football. McCartney also won Inter-League honours with Belfast Celtic, Linfield and Glentoran. He died in Belfast on 21st July 1968.

Thomas Morrison – 3 caps (7 in total)
Thomas ‘Ching’ Morrison was the youngest of five sons born to James and Annie Morrison. The first three boys were born in Scotland and the youngest of them, Bob who was also an international, played for Linfield until his untimely death from pneumonia in 1891 aged just 23. Another brother, Alex also played for Glentoran in the 1890’s.

Thomas was born in Belfast in 1874. He made his first appearance for Glentoran on 18th April 1891 in a Charity Cup game against Ulster at Solitude. He scored in that match which was abandoned with the Glens trailing 4-1. The following season (1891-92) saw ‘Ching’ score 11 goals in just 9 games, including a hattrick in the Irish League against Ligoneil.

Morrison was part of Glentoran’s Irish League winning side of 1893-94 and in March that season moved to Burnley. His scored on his Burnley debut, a 3-1 victory against Derby County, but early the following season he was dismissed by the Burnley committee for ‘misconduct’. He returned to the Glens and at the end of the 1894-95 campaign he was capped against England, Wales and Scotland. In that final game against the Scots in Glasgow he gave Dan Doyle (full-back) such a torrid time that Doyle’s club Celtic signed him. He scored for Celtic in the Glasgow Merchant’s Charity Cup final, in which Celtic defeated Rangers 4-0 at Cathkin Park on 25th May 1895. Thomas Morrison returned to Burnley in February 1897 and helped them to the Second Division title in 1898. He won four further caps before joining Manchester United in 1902-03. He remained there until the beginning of the 1904-05 season when he signed for Colne. ‘Ching’ returned home to Belfast and ended his career with Glentoran, scoring two goals in sixteen appearances in 1906-07. Thomas Morrison died on 26th March 1940 in Belfast.

Arthur Stewart – 3 caps (7 in total)
Arthur Stewart joined Glentoran in the summer of 1961 and made over 50 appearances in his first season. His first medal came in the 62-63 season when the Glens defeated Derry City 3-1 in the final of the Gold Cup. He missed the Irish Cup final defeat the following season but had the consolation of picking up the first of his three Championship medals as Glentoran pipped Coleraine by a point following a last game 2-0 win over Cliftonville at Solitude. Two years later Arthur was in the Glentoran side that beat Linfield 2-0 in the Irish Cup final, Terry Conroy scoring both goals.

1966-67 and 1967-68 were the two most successful seasons in the history of Glentoran with two Championships, the Ulster Cup, City Cup, Gold Cup and Co Antrim Shield coming to the Oval. Stewart’s outstanding performances during that spell earned him a transfer to Derby County in December ‘67. Arthur returned to his first club, Ballymena Utd, in 1970 and took over as player-manager the following season. He left the Showgrounds in 1976 and following spells with Distillery, Bangor and Cliftonville, Arthur Stewart returned to the Oval to take charge of the first team at the beginning of the 1977-78 season. It was a short reign however with the lure of a full time job in football in the USA proving too great. When Stewart returned to Northern Ireland he managed both Ballyclare Comrades and Ballymoney Utd.

Arthur Stewart’s international debut was against Wales in April 1967; a 0-0 draw at Windsor Park. He was joined in the Irish team by Glentoran teammate Walter Bruce. He won 3 caps during his time at the Oval and another 4 with Derby County.

Walter Bruce – 2 caps
One of Glentoran’s all time greats; Walter Bruce came to the Oval in 1953 and by the time he hung up his boots in the early 70’s he’d played 529 games for Glentoran, scoring 140 goals. His first team debut came on 25th February 1956 at the Brandywell with the Glens winning 2-1 against Derry City. He played just five times that season but one of those appearances was the second replay of the Irish Cup final that the Glens lost 1-0 to Distillery. The first of Walter’s 140 goals came at the beginning of the 56-57 season in a 2-1 victory over Cliftonville at Solitude. Bruce played through what was a barren spell, as far as major trophies was concerned, from 57 to 63 and he’d made around 300 appearances for the club before the League Championship was finally won in 1963-64.

The Irish Cup was won in 1966 with a 2-0 victory over Linfield and Walter, playing in what is widely regarded as the best ever Glens side, picked up three more League Championships over the next four seasons (66-67, 67-68 & 69-70). He was also a member of the very successful ‘Detroit Cougars’ tour of the USA and played in all the high profile European games of the mid-sixties.

Walter Bruce’s first cap came against Scotland at Hampden Park on 9th November 1960. The home side won the game 5-2 with Law, Caldon, Young and Brand (2) scoring for Scotland and McParland and Blanchflower getting Northern Ireland’s goals. On the Irish side were four other ex-Glentoran players (Elder, Peacock, Bingham & Blanchflower) and a future Glentoran manager (Peter McParland 1968-71).

It was no surprise that Walter Bruce attracted the attention of many cross-channel clubs with Burnley being particularly keen. The only surprise as far as Glentoran supporters were concerned was that he spent his entire career at the Oval. However this didn’t stop him earning a second cap (although who knows how many he would have won had a big money transfer come about). Walter’s second cap came against Wales at Windsor Park on 12th April 1967, a game that finished scoreless.

Jack Burnett – 2 caps (5 in total)
Born in July 1871, Jack (John) Burnett began as a half-back with Distillery where he played from 1890-91 until 1893-94. He had already won 3 caps before joining Glentoran for the 1894-95 campaign. In his second and final season he scored his only goal for the club against Cliftonville in a 4-1 City Cup win. He also played (alongside James Kelly - above) in the 3-1 Irish Cup final (1896) defeat to his former club Distillery. Whilst with Glentoran, John Burnett won two further caps, against England and Wales in 1895.

James Connor – 2 caps (13 in total)
An outstanding centre-back, Downpatrick man James Connor joined the Glens from Belfast Celtic for the 1900-01 season. He rejoined Celtic the following year but returned to Glentoran again for the 1902-03 campaign. Altogether he spent 4 seasons with the Glens, playing 106 games and scoring 3 goals. He was capped twice during his time with Glentoran; the first an 11-0 defeat to Scotland in Glasgow (23-02-1901) and the second the 3-0 loss to England in Southampton (9-03-1901). James Connor returned to Belfast Celtic where he played from 1904-05 until 1912-13. He won a further 11 caps whilst with Celtic. He was 36 when he finished playing and died in his hometown 5 years later aged just 41.

(Caps won whilst at Belfast Celtic: 1905 v Eng/Scot/Wal 1907 v Eng/Scot 1908 v Eng/Scot 1909 v Wal 1911 v Eng/Scot/Wal)

Johnny Geary – 2 caps
Johnny Geary was born in Ravensdale Street off the Beersbridge and Castlereagh Roads in 1907. His football career began with Ledley Memorial and continued with Castleview and Grove United in the Alliance League. He also played for both Willowfield and Dundela before joining Glentoran in the 1925-26 season. Johnny made his Glentoran debut at the Oval against Linfield on 2nd January 1926, the Glens winning the game 3-2. The first of his 85 goals for Glentoran came in game against Cliftonville at Solitude a couple of weeks later in another 3-2 victory. A month later saw Geary play in his first final for the Glens when they met Cliftonville in the Co Antrim Shield. Unfortunately the game finished 5-1 to the Reds and Johnny would have to wait until 1928-29 season for his first honour with the club. That came courtesy of a 3-3 draw with Distillery in the Charity Cup, the clubs sharing the trophy.

The 1930-31 season saw Geary help the Glens to League Championship and Co Antrim Shield successes. It was also in this season when he won the first of his two international caps against Scotland. There were further honours the following season with both the City Cup and the Irish Cup coming to the Oval; the Irish Cup following a 2-1 win over Linfield at Celtic Park with Lucas and Roberts scoring for the Glens. In May 1932 Johnny Geary was awarded a benefit game against Dolphin, runners-up in the Free State League. The match, played at the Oval, resulted in a 7-1 win for the Glens but unfortunately Geary missed the game through injury. It was a recurrence of this injury that forced his retirement from football the following season. His last game for Glentoran came at the Oval against Distillery on 31st December 1932. He was just 25 years old but had played a total of 290 games for the club (mostly at inside-left) and scored 85 goals.

Johnny Geary’s two caps both came against Scotland. The first game, played at Windsor Park in front of 27,000, finished scoreless. The match was played in very windy conditions with the visitors enjoying the advantage of the wind in the first half and the Irish in the second half. Glentoran’s centre-forward Fred Roberts also played in this game. Geary’s second cap came in a 3-1 defeat at Ibrox.

Ralph Lawther – 2 caps
Goalkeeper, Lawther featured in the Glentoran side in 1885-86 as the club reached the Charity Cup final, losing 5-1 to Cliftonville. The following season saw Glentoran move from their Ormeau Park ground to the King’s Field, Bryson Street in Westbourne, Mountpottinger. At the AGM, held on 14th September 1886, Lawther was elected vice-captain of the club. His first cap came in the 1887-88 season when he appeared in goals against Scotland. Despite conceding 10 goals he retained his place for the following game against England two weeks later. Ireland lost 5-1! 1888-89 saw Ralph Lawther made captain of Glentoran. He featured in 9 games that term and a further 9 the following season. Lawther remained with the Glens for a further 4 seasons but played in only 3 games during that time.

Billy McKeag – 2 caps
Billy McKeag’s football career began in the Churches League before he joined his boyhood favourites Glentoran in 1964. It didn’t take Billy long to establish himself as a first team regular and having made 18 appearances in his first season he then clocked up a further 44 in 65-66. He won the first of his 4 League titles in 66-67 (the others coming in 67-68, 69-70 and 71-72) and it was during this time that he was called up into the Northern Ireland squad. An injury to Newcastle United’s David Craig gave Billy McKeag the opportunity to win his first international cap at full back. His only other international was against Wales in February 1968 when he played in midfield.

With 9 seasons under his belt the only thing missing from McKeag’s impressive Glentoran career was an Irish Cup winners medal. That duly arrived in 1973 when the Glens, captained by Bimbo Weatherup, defeated Linfield 3-2 in the final. Two years later Billy decided it was time to hang up his boots. With the appointment of Arthur Stewart as Glentoran manager Billy McKeag was persuaded to come out of retirement and tread the Oval turf again. He finally quit in 1979. Billy then went into a number of coaching/assistant manager roles, firstly with Glenavon under Terry Nicholson and then on to Carrick Rangers and Coleraine with Kenny Shiels.

John McVicker – 2 caps
Born on 29th April 1868, John McVicker made his Glentoran debut during the 1883-84 season aged just 15. He began as a centre-forward and his first recorded goals came in the 1885-86 campaign, scoring twice against both Ligoneil and YMCA. Two hattricks followed the next season against Hertford and Clifton Park. 1887-88 saw McVicker start the season with Glentoran and end it with Linfield. It was during this short spell with the ‘blues’ that he won his first cap; the game being played against England in Belfast in April. He began the 1888-89 campaign with Linfield again but returned to Glentoran where he remained until the end of the 1890-91 season. In his second spell with the Glens he reverted to right-back and won another cap against Scotland in March 1889. 1891-92 saw John McVicker move across to England to play for Accrington Stanley. He played for Ardwick for the following two seasons before signing for Macclesfield for what turned out to be his final year in football (1894-95). He lived in Maccelsfield until his death.

Jimmy Maxwell – 2 caps (7 in total)
Jimmy Maxwell spent only one season with Glentoran (1904-05) but he did pick up a League Championship winners medal and added two more international caps to his collection. He came to the Glens from Linfield where he’d won three caps between 1902 and 1903. Following his short spell with Glentoran Maxwell moved on to Belfast Celtic.

Johnny Scraggs – 2 caps
One of only 33 players (including current squad) to make over 300 appearances for Glentoran, Johnny Scraggs made his first team debut in the 1909-10 season. By the beginning of 1913-14 he had made just 14 starts but it was in this season that his career really took off. He was in the team that brought the Irish Cup to the Oval for the first time in 1914 when the Glens defeated Linfield 3-1 at Grosvenor Park. Glentoran also won the City Cup that season and the Vienna Cup. That year he also scored the first of his 18 goals for the club in a 5-0 home win v Glenavon in the City Cup. Johnny Scraggs, William Emerson and George Ferritt were the half-back line which was the mainstay of what was a successful team into the 1920’s. Scraggs lifted the Irish Cup again in 1917 when Belfast Celtic were defeated 2-0 in the Windsor Park final. He scored in the final in 1919. The goal came in the second replay when the Glens went down 2-1 to Linfield. 1920-21 saw Johnny finally get his hands on an Irish League winners medal. That turned out to be a great year for Glentoran who added both the Irish Cup and Co Antrim Shield to their League title. Scraggs won the first of his two caps in April 1921 when he captained the Irish side against the Welsh in Swansea. The other came at the beginning of the following season, against England in Belfast. Shortly afterwards Johnny Scraggs and William Emerson were both transferred to mainland clubs. Scraggs rejoined Glentoran from Clydebank for the 1927-28 campaign. He was appointed captain of the club for what turned out to be his last season.

R. Crone – 2 caps (4 in total)
Crone joined Glentoran from Distillery where he had already won two international caps. He made just 3 appearances for Glentoran that season (1889-90) and won 2 further caps, against England & Scotland.

Billy Andrews – 1 cap (3 in total)
Billy Andrews wasn’t a guy who hung around too long in one place. Born in Kansas City, USA in 1886 he began his football career with Stranmillis before joining Distillery where he played from 1904 until 1906. He joined Glentoran for the 1906-07 season and, playing at centre-forward, scored 10 goals in 27 games that year. This included a 4-goal haul against Cliftonville Olympic in the first round of the Co Antrim Shield. Glentoran’s solitary trophy that season was the Charity Cup; Andrews scoring one of our goals in a 2-0 victory over the Blues at Solitude. William Andrews scored another 13 the following season before packing his bags again and heading for Oldham. The 1908-09 season saw Andrews make 9 appearances (3 goals) for Oldham before moving to Stockport County. 13 games followed for Stockport in 1909-10 before Andrews returned to Glentoran. He was at the Oval for two seasons, winning two City Cup medals and a League Championship. By now though William Andrews was playing as a defender but he still managed 9 goals in 58 games during his second spell with the Glens. Next it was Grimsby Town where he played 114 games between 1912 and 1915, scoring twice. He returned to Belfast and played for Distillery in 1915-16 and Belfast United 1916-1919. Then it was back to England where William Andrews finished his football career with Darlington. Along with 3 International caps (1 with Glentoran & 2 with Grimsby), Andrews also won Inter-League honours.

Tom Black – 1 cap
Thomas Black joined Glentoran for the 1900-01 campaign following a year with Distillery. A right-sided player, Black scored in the first match of the season, a 3-1 defeat against the Whites. He scored 5 goals in 21 games that year including one in the final of the Co Antrim Shield when the Glens beat Cliftonville 2-1. The following season saw Black score three times in the first four games but he made only six appearances that year, his last in Irish League football. He was just 22 years old. His one cap came against England in 1901.

The Irish team which lost 3-0 to England on 9th March 1901 in Southampton.

J. Nolan-Whelan (Dublin Freebooters)

W. Gibson (Cliftonville)
P. Boyle (Sheffield United)
J. Connor (Glentoran)
A. Goodall (Derby County)
J. Burnison (Distillery)
T. Black (Glentoran)
R. Rea (Glentoran)J. Mansfield (Dublin Freebooters)
I. Doherty (Belfast Celtic)
R. Clarke (Belfast Celtic)

Warren Feeney – 1 cap
On 3rd March 1976, the day when Carrick Rangers, managed by Jimmy Brown, knocked out Cup holders Coleraine in a second round replay on their way to their marvellous Irish Cup win, Warren Feeney was stepping out in the Bloomfield Stadium, Tel Aviv wearing the no.11 shirt for Northern Ireland for an international friendly. Feeney, returning home from a period with Stoke City, joined Glentoran in 1972. He made his debut at Glenavon in October that year and by the end of the season Warren had played 34 games for the Glens and scored 17 goals. He’d also picked up City Cup, Blaxnit Cup and Irish Cup winners medals, scoring twice in the Irish Cup final 3-2 victory over Linfield. The 73-74 season wasn’t a particularly successful one for Glentoran but Feeney managed 22 goals, including a hattrick against Glenavon in the Ulster Cup. He added a further 66 goals over the next two seasons but had only a City Cup medal for his efforts. 1976-77 though was different. Warren Feeney played 43 games in a season that saw Glentoran win the Gold Cup, Ulster Cup and the Irish League title. He scored a remarkable 47 goals in that campaign including FOUR in the Ulster Cup against Linfield at the Oval (a game the Glens won 6-2) and two in the final of the Gold Cup as Glentoran again thrashed the Blues 5-1.
The following season Feeney was again to the fore, scoring in both the finals of the Co Antrim Shield and Gold Cup as Glentoran picked up two more trophies. Unfortunately the most outstanding memory for fans that season was his last minute penalty miss against Juventus in the European Cup. 1978-79 season saw Feeney make just two appearances for the Glens before he moved across town to Windsor Park in a player/cash exchange which saw Jim Martin join the Glens. Warren Feeney is joint 4th (with Gary Macartney) in the all-time scoring list for Glentoran. Both managed 192 goals and are only bettered by Trevor Thompson (375), Fred Roberts (332) and Sammy Hughes (297). Warren Feeney won his only cap in a friendly game against Israel in March 1976. Northern Ireland dominated the early stages of the game and Derek Spence spurned two great chances in the first 15 minutes. It was the home side though, which took the lead in the 37th minute, courtesy of a rocket from Damti. The equaliser arrived in the 57th minute. Bryan Hamilton’s forward pass found Spence who in turn fed Anderson. His crossfield ball was struck first time by Feeney and it went into the net via a deflection off Lev.

Part 2


Player Index A - B - C - D - F - G - H - I - L - Mc - M - N - O - Q - R - S - T - Z