10 August 2008

Joe Elwood

Name: Joseph Patrick Elwood
Born: 26 October 1939, Belfast
Position: Outside/Inside-Left

Representative Honours: Northern Ireland: 1 B Cap (1960), 1 Under-23 Cap (1962), Youth Caps; 3 Schoolboy Caps (1954).
Club Honours: (with Glenavon) Irish League Champion 1956/57; Irish Cup Winner 1956/57; (with Orient) Football League Division Two Runner-Up 1961/62.

Club Career:
Clubs
Seasons
Signed
Fee
League
FA Cup
FL Cup
Other
Glenavon
54/55-57/58
Sep-54
-
-
-
-
-
58/59-65/66
Apr-58
-
101(2)/25
8(0)/4
16(0)/3
-
Ards
66/67-67/68
c/s-66
-
/12
/2
-
/10
Distillery
-
c/s-69
-
-
-
-
-
TOTALS
£-
/37
/6
16(0/3
/10


BIography:
Joe Elwood broke into Jimmy McAlinden's Glenavon side while still a teenager, featuring at outside-left in their 1957 "Double" winning side. At eighteen he moved to Division Two Leyton Orient, his free-scoring displays from the wing bringing ten goals in his first campaign in English football. After such startling early form his progress slowed somewhat, and in 1963, as Orient achieved promotion to the topflight for the only time, he played just ten times.

Still, Elwood remained in the thoughts of the Irish selectors, featuring at outside-left in 5-0 defeat by France in a 1960 B international and at inside-left in a 1962 Under-23 match, a scoreless draw against Wales. Although not a regular selection for the Os, he remained a regular goalscorer through to his return to the Irish League with Ards in 1966.

Elwood added much needed experience and guile to a young Ards side, aiding them to turn round their period of mediocrity in the mid-sixties to become challengers once again. He saved his best performances in red and blue for a run in the 1968 Irish Cup. He scored in a 4-1 win over Coleraine despite being given the unfamiliar task of man-marker Bertie Peacock. He scored again in the semi-final against Linfield, though Ards finished 2-1 losers.

Northern Ireland B Cap Details:
16-03-1960 France A L 0-5 FR

Summary: 1/0. Won 0, Drew 0, Lost 1.

Northern Ireland Under-23 Cap Details:
07-02-1962 Wales H D 0-0 FR

Summary: 1/0. Won 0, Drew 1, Lost 0.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Elwood was my PE teacher at Upton/Homrton House school.

Unknown said...

Mr Elwood, a great man, was my PE teacher at Holy Family College. He was responsible for me scoring the best goal I've ever scored in a football match. A goal I didn't believe I could score. But he believed in me. He was the referee in my school game and we got a free kick just inside the opponents half. He told me to shoot. I told him now as I thought it was too far. He said to me "If you don't shoot, I'm having you subbed!". I took the shot and it ended up on the top corner. I'm 34 now and that was when I was 14, but still remember it as clear as day. Thank you Mr Elwood. You're a great man.

Anonymous said...

Mr Elwood was our coach at Normanhurst primary school, Chingford. I guess he came in 1960ish. I sometimes went to Leyton to watch him play - was the only spectator shouting 'Come on Mr Elwood'.

Who was Northern Ireland's Greatest World Cup Player & Team? (select up to eleven players)

© NIFG 2006-2015